Monday, October 22, 2007

Elizabeth (Regal) Bame

After graduating from AA, I went to Andrews University to get my BFA, I made some great new friends while I was there, one of which was very influential in my life. I ended up in Atlanta, when she talked me into moving down to room with her. At the time I was working for a newspaper in Buchanan and I was not planning to stay there long. My Atlanta friend set up a meeting with a publishing company, I was hired to be their art director, where I am still currently employed after eighteen years. This same friend also introduced me to a mutual friend of hers who I ended up marrying. What a friend! I meet Roy the first weekend I was came down here for the job interview. We hung out for two years as just friend, before eventually realizing that we were pretty crazy about each other. After that it only took six months before we were walking down the isle. We have been married for almost 15 years now. We don’t have kids, but we did adopt a dog (Molly) and inherited a cat (Bailey). Roy was working for Larson-Juhl a picture framing company when I first met him. But a few years after we’d been married, he started a lawn and landscape company, the business is flourishing, he now has a manager that runs it, and this year he started working for a long time friend as a project manager for a renovation company.

Since before we got married, Roy and I have been actively involved in our church, the Atlanta North SDA church in Dunwoody, Georgia (come visit us if your ever in the area). We’ve served various positions throughout the years, and we are currently helping with Pathfinders. Last year, Roy went with a group from our church to preach in India. This year he went again, and this time I went with him. I helped with the kids, teaching them bible stories and songs. It was an incredible experience, hard to describe. I was overwhelmed by the sights, sounds, and smells. But meeting the people, and helping to bring the Gospel to those that had never heard it, was the part that made the experience so special, and so humbling. We are hoping to go back again next year.

A few years after being in Atlanta, I ended up taking art classes from a very talented, art teacher. I continued taking classes from him, once a week, for over eight years, till one day I decided it was time to brave it on my own, by then I was developing enough confidence in my abilities to start marketing my work. For the last four years I’ve been entering juried shows, and art exhibits, as well as having my work represented by several galleries here in Altanta. If you would like to see my work you can check out my website: www.paintingsbyelizabeth.com. Pursuing my art has led me to some exciting adventures, and given me the opportunity to meet some wonderful people that also have a passion for art. I traveled to France twice while I was in art class, and in 2003 I was excepted into to an artist-in-residence progam, in Hawaii. I spent two weeks there, living in a house with four other artist, painting to my hearts content. I’ve never had a more relaxing vacation.


It’s been wonderful to read the different entries and hear what has been happening with some of my classmates. I still have family in Michigan and make it up there at least twice a year. But, unfortunately I won’t be able to make it up there for the reunion, I’ve been in touch with a couple of you that I have not talked to in so many years, I am so glad that we are now back in contact with each other, what a blessing that has been! Maybe I’ll see you at the 30th?
.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beth,
I love your blog. You added my favorite picture, Joelle. See you in December...Susan

ruthtillman said...

Beth,
Such beautiful paintings! I am so glad that you have pursued your art. We will have to get together and go to Cades Cove sometime...Ruth