Sunday, October 14, 2007

Linda (Higgins) Wallack

Wow! I am so impressed by everybody's story. Now that both our kids are in high school I think more about all the experiences we had at Andrews, the friends we made, and how amazing it is that people you meet when you are 14 years old (or younger) still make an impact on you life in your 40's. Writing this is strange, forcing a look back of 25 years. People are always amazed that I'm still married to my high school boyfriend (Kurt), that I still see my high school teachers, and still talk to my best friends since 6th grade (Carol, Cherry-Lee, Betty). I feel really lucky to be able to have all these connections.

I want to say a special comment about Mr. Newberry, who is gone now, but who had a huge influence in my life in school and afterwards. It was really sad to be at his funeral and say goodbye to a great teacher and friend.

Kurt and I have two boys who are great fun. We live in Chicago - as close to the lake as possible. We moved here in 2000 after being in DC for 15 years. It's nice being back in the mid-west although it's taken me 7 years to resign myself to the longer winters.

Professionally things have been interesting and ever changing. After academy I spent a couple of years at Andrews then moved to DC to finish college. After receiving my B.A. in Interior Architecture I worked at several architecture firms improving my craft. In Chicago I decided to branch out on my own and start a creative firm with a twist. It wasn't enough to just do space, so I partnered with several other people who specialized in graphics and technology, making it possible to offer our clients a full scope of branding and design services. It gave us a lot of project variety, helping create companies from scratch or helping existing organizations make major changes to their business. I can't tell you how many times I've used the skills I learned from Academy - whether is writing, presenting, or just having the confidence to stand in front of a client and sell an idea.

After six years I've decided to simplify and close down one firm and start a smaller, more design oriented, company. If you are interested - or want to hire us : ) you can check out our new website: www.goweetu.com.

Jake (16) and Addison (14) are both in high school. They play hockey, hang at the beach in the summer, and scare me to death driving down Lemon Creek Road. Kurt is a mortgage banker, which has kept him occupied since college.

It will be fun to see everyone in a couple weeks. Thanks Mike and Ernie and Betty and all the others who are making the plans for the week-end. See you soon!

No comments: