Monday, October 8, 2007

Marcia (Merkel) Irwin

I can't believe it's been 25 years since we were all at AA. So much has happened it's hard to know where to begin. For now, I'll just give the current highlights. My husband, Ben, and I live in Zelienople, PA with our two lively black labs, Zack and Vonie. I work for Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh for the Dean Ornish Lifestyle Program, teaching the nutrition component. I also do some personal training at my local YMCA. My husband works for Coventry Healthcare as a senior software analyst. We live in a small town and enjoy the laid back living. We even had a black bear wander through our neighborhood this summer.

Our daughter, Rachel, is living in England. She is back in school this year at the London School of Economics studying health policy. She loves to row and has been on crew teams since college. A major highlight in our lives was traveling to England in March 2006 to visit her. We got to see her life at Oxford University and watch her crew team win their blades at Torpids. Needless to say, we are very proud of her!

Over the years, I’ve done things I never thought I’d do back when I was at AA (and even AU). Definitely was a late bloomer so to speak. I’ve given talks to groups of people and done TV interviews when I could barely get the courage to say two sentences up front before. I’m even playing the piano at church. I know my piano ability is small compared with so many of you (Joel Ingram, Clarence Thomas...), but I feel at peace that I’m using my talent for the Lord and not hiding anymore. The fact that I got married (can you believe it?) and became a step-mom when I never dated during AA is another miracle. PTL, He doesn’t give up on us!

While I haven’t kept in touch with most of you, I look forward to seeing everyone at the reunion and getting reacquainted.

Check out her blog:

http://mmirwin.blogspot.com/

No comments: