Sunday, October 21, 2007

Kenworth Holness (part 2)


The Day in the Life of the Holness family

First of all, I would like to thank my Lord and Savior for allowing me the opportunity of living to see my 25th Andrews Academy anniversary. As I reflect back to 1983, I began to wonder how time flies when you’re having fun (and when you’re not having fun either). I am very proud of our class with our many accomplishments, but most proud of many of you willing to step forward to reflect and ponder on our growth experiences since our “academy days.”

Reunions are not about who you are or what you’ve accomplished, but it’s all about who and what you’ve become through Christ during these growing pains in life. I would hope that we would all remember the good times and learn from the bad times over these past 25 years, and realize every experience is a great spiritual experience as long as we’re willing to learn from them.

I would have loved to tell you that I won a Nobel Peace prize, but Mr. Al Gore did that. Or that I had won the Democratic nomination for 2008, but I’m going to leave that up to Senators Clinton, Obama, or Edwards. Or that I had dedicated my life to the poor in Calcutta, India, but Mother Teresa stole this thunder already.

(6:11 am) But, I will tell you that this Thursday morning, I woke up at 6 am in order to get ready for my 50 minute commute to the Veterans Administration in Salisbury, NC where I provide acute and chronic healthcare services for our country’s veteran population. Earlier this morning, I was awakened by the screaming sounds of our new addition to the family, Emory Frederica (now 3 1/2 months old), but was too tired to help my already exhausted wife, Kara Diane, with our daughter. While stumbling to the bathroom, my wife reminds me to awaken our 2 other daughters, Moriah Inday (12yo) & Micah Naomi (9yo, soon to be 10yo in November) for school, Napoleon B. Smith Junior Academy in Greensboro, NC. The rest of my preparation is spent preparing a small breakfast for the girls, making sure they prepared their lunches, and just before running out the door, I screamed, “And don’t forget to collect your instruments, feed the dog (Marleigh), and take her outside!”

(8:30am) When I arrive at work, I’m approached by my nurse practitioner student about her non-compliant diabetic patient. We figure out a plan together, and we jump into seeing patients the rest of the day. During the day while typing my progress notes, I’m reminded about the most important class I took at Andrews Academy, “Introduction to Business machines” which was taught by Ms. Vitrano. Those typing skills gained in that class really came in handy.

(12:45 pm) As the noon hour approaches, I ponder going to the gym to shoot some basketball for some form of weekly aerobic exercise. No, I can’t shoot the J like Dr. J (Mr. Jones), but at least it feels good.

(2:31 pm) I received a call from the car dealership on my cell that he has a potential station wagon for us to purchase. Since Emory’s arrival, we have finally moved on the concept of getting a bigger car, but my wife adamantly opposed the idea of seeing herself driving an SUV or Mini-van.

(4:41 pm) After completing my last patient and wrapping up my cases with my UNC-C NP student, I rush out of the outpatient clinic in order to meet Moriah’s new viola teacher in Greensboro, Ms Angela Toney. Moriah is in the process of preparing for her recital on December 2nd. She plans on playing “Minuet in G major”. Micah is also preparing for the recital, but I’m not sure what piece she will be playing on her cello.

(8:00 pm) “Dinner was great, honey!” My wife is a great cook, but great dinners have been scarce recently since our new “addition”. Early morning breastfeedings and changing “poop” is quite a different life from growing her own bacterial biofilms in the Microbiology lab. But she loves being a mother; maybe except for the commutes back and forth to school. By the way, the wedding in St. Lucia and Martinique was awesome!

(9:15 pm) After completing worship with the family, I try to calm the baby in order to give my wife a break by bouncing on our exercise ball (it really works!), but immediately after she starts to cry, I handoff Emory to Kara in a flash. I just haven’t developed the expertise of putting her to sleep all the time.

Despite all the broken relationships, medical school trials, medical missionary tribulations in Jamaica, and near death experiences, God has continued to work his miracles in my life. Life the poem, “Footprints in the sand,” even though I didn’t feel Christ was in my presence during these trials, He was actually carrying me through it all. Thank you Andrews Academy and Dr. Orrison for providing that spiritual foundation I desperately needed in order to survive the past 25 years. “Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.” Psalm 55:22.

No comments: